Brown Rice & Quinoa Pista Risotto
1 cup American Pistachios
2 tbsps olive oil + for drizzling
1 tbsp finely chopped garlic
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 fresh red chilli, chopped
5-6 button mushrooms, quartered
½ cup brown rice
½ cup quinoa
Salt to taste
3½ cups vegetable stock
3-4 sprigs of fresh thyme
¼ cup white wine
¼ cup fresh cream
1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley leaves
2 tbsps parmesan cheese powder + for garnish
8-10 American Pistachios, blanched, peeled and slivered
Fresh parsley sprig for garnish
Preparation time: 10-15 minutes
Cooking time: 20-25 minutes
- Bring sufficient water to a boil in a pan. Add American Pistachios and blanch for 3-5 minutes. Drain the pistachios and put them into cold water to stop the carry over cooking to avoid discoloration.
- Peel the pistachios and add into a blender jar. Add ½ cup water and blend to a coarse paste.
- Heat olive oil in a pan. Add garlic and sauté for a minute.
- Add onion and sauté till translucent. Add red chilli and sauté for a minute.
- Add mushrooms and mix well. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add brown rice and quinoa and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add salt and mix well.
- Add 1½ cups vegetable stock, mix and cook till the moisture is absorbed.
- Add the blended paste, pluck the leaves of thyme and mix well. Add remaining vegetable stock and mix well. Continue to cook till the brown rice and quinoa is cooked till al dante.
- Add white wine and mix well. Cook for 1-2 minutes. Add fresh cream, mix and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add parsley leaves and parmesan cheese powder and mix well. Switch the heat off, transfer the risotto into a serving plate and sprinkle some parmesan cheese powder. Garnish with some slivered American Pistachios, parsley sprig and drizzle olive oil. Serve hot.