750 grams chicken (murgh), cut into 2 inch pieces on the bone
1 cup American Pistachios
1 medium onion, chopped
2 inch ginger, roughly chopped
2-3 green chillies
5-6 garlic cloves
½ small bunch of fresh coriander leaves
½ cup whisked yogurt
½ tsp turmeric powder
Salt to taste
2 tbsps ghee
3-4 black peppercorns
3-4 green cardamoms
1 bay leaf
2 inch cinnamon stick
Fresh cream for garnish
Blanched, peeled and slivered American Pistachios
Fresh coriander sprig for garnish
Steamed rice to serve
Preparation time: 15-20 minutes
Cooking time: 35-40 minutes
- Bring sufficient water to a boil in a pan. Add American Pistachios and blanch for 3-5 minutes. Drain the pistachios and put them into cold water to stop the carry over cooking to avoid discoloration.
- Peel the pistachios.
- To make the masala paste, put the onion in a blender jar. Add ginger, green chillies, garlic, coriander leaves and the peeled pistachios. Add ½ cup water and blend to a fine paste.
- Take the chicken in a large bowl. Add whisked yogurt, turmeric powder and salt and mix well.
- Heat ghee in a kadai. Add cloves, black peppercorns, green cardamoms, bay leaf and cinnamon stick and sauté till fragrant.
- Add the chicken and sauté on high heat for 3-4 minutes. Add the blended paste and salt and mix well.
- Add ¾ cup water, mix, cover and cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Transfer into a serving bowl. Garnish with fresh cream, blanched and slivered American Pistachios and coriander sprig. Serve hot with steamed rice.