Pistachio Cucumber Smash Cocktail
Paired with Chef Boulud’s Harissa-Spiced Lamb with Glazed Eggplant and Pistachio Raita
1 1⁄2 oz Hendrick’s Gin
3⁄4 oz Pistachio cordial*
3⁄4 oz fresh lime juice
2 slices fresh cucumber
4 leaves fresh mint
- Muddle (gently mash) cucumber then add other ingredients in a cocktail shaker
- Add ice and shake well for 20 seconds
- Strain over fresh ice in an Old Fashioned glass
- Garnish with cucumber, mint and a couple of pistachios.
Pistachio Cordial - Instructions (makes 8 oz)
- Combine 1 cup sugar and 1 cup water in a pan. Bring to a low simmer and stir for a few minutes until sugar has fully dissolved.
- In a blender place 1/2 cup unsalted, roasted pistachios and add the sugar water
- Optional – add 1 drop of rosewater
- Blend for 30 seconds and allow to sit for 2 minutes
- Strain out solids and collect cordial
- Keep refrigerated until ready to use
- Put half a cup of dry, raw pistachios in a blender or spice grinder and grind finely.
- Be careful not to overgrind as any moisture will turn the ground pistachios into a paste.
- Pour your ground pistachios onto a small plate or bowl.
- Moisten the outside rim of your glass with a cut wedge of lemon or by using some sugar water.
- Then dip the glass upside down into the powdered pistachios so that they stick well onto the rim of the glass.
- Give the glass a gentle tap before turning the right way up, then fill with ice ready to receive the cocktail.
Charlotte Voisey is one of the most respected spirits educators and mixologists in the World.